Tuesday 21 August 2012

Hold My Hand And Things Will Get Better-August 15th, 2012

Today I got to sleep in! It sounds nuts that I am that excited, but normally only on the weekends do we really get to sleep in. Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling the greatest for a couple days so I didn't really feel like doing a whole lot today except sit hunched over (only position that made my stomach not hurt). I managed to get up and get ready to go to the orphanage, since I made it on time to go today :). The small group of us that were going were all ready to go by 10 am, then Issac, our coordinator, informed us that we wouldn't be going until 11:45 am. I was thinking man I wish I knew that before I woke up before 10. We all decided that we wanted to go get some lunch and that if we left soon then we would make it back before we had to go. At about 10:30 or 10:45am we made our way to the market and decided we were going to eat at the usual, Cafe Mocha. Instead, the cafe was closed so we ate at this Italian resturant called Roberto's. They weren't quite all set up by the time we got there so it took them a while to get us seated, our food ordered, and our meals delivered. Let's just say we were a little late getting back to go to the orphanage. When Issac found us he had said that we would wait about another hour before going. This made us all a little more lazy and we didn't want to go, plus my stomach was still upset. When the time came we all got up and walked to the orphanage since this one wasn't that far from where we are staying. When we got close some of the kids saw us coming and greeted us instantly by grabbing our hands. We arrived at the orphanage and I instantly felt my heart sink. The building was all made of mud and wood and had a tin roof. It was kind of dark in there since they don't have lights. Once we got in and sat down the guardians, teachers, and children all welcomed us. The children did skits, sang and danced. We even got our chance at the dancing and singing fun. There was one boy that was in grade 5 that had did a skit by himself that he compared stuff of his to others, but said look at me I'm just fine. It made me sad, but then I realized that all these children have been through so much, but they continue to have a bright outlook and don't for one second sit and feel sorry for themselves. They know that no matter what they have been through, they will be fine and things will get better. We had a lot of fun playing, singing and dancing with the children and before we knew it, it was time for us to leave. The guardians were very thankful and invited us to come back anytime when we were free. Joel, one of the students here from Britian, is organizing a reconstruction project for the orphange, so that they have a better place to stay. From what I understand, the construction will start next week. We made our journey back and all felt good that we went even though some of us didn't want to or didn't feel well.

For rest of the afternoon and night we didn't do much. We relaxed and had to pack our bags since we were leaving for our safari in the morning. I was really looking forward to going and getting a new experience away from the hospital. I just hoped that I would feel better in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment